It’s spring, all of sudden, isn’t it? I know this because at the weekend I had to urge to pull up all the sofa cushions and hoover them, a level of domesticity that I’ve exhibited before in my life a grand total of zero times. I had to wait to do it until my hands had thawed out from a chilly wander around a nearby rec, but it happened and I was rewarded with £1.50 in change found down the back of the sofa and crumb-free cushions. Earlier in the day I also realised that the honk of the Canada goose is a lot like my laugh, but that was a slightly less welcome discovery than the coins.
Alongside the gradual change of seasons comes the short wild garlic window. With a softer taste than bulb garlic, it lends itself to a wide range of dishes including as an addition to salad – if you can find it. Thanks to its preference for damp, shady woodlands, in London, wild garlic locations are closely guarded secrets. For those of you lucky enough to have better access to it, here’s some tips for foraging wild garlic, and a whole bunch of recipes…
- Deep fried sprats with wild garlic aioli @ The Independent
- Oh-so-classic wild garlic pesto @ Eat Like A Girl
- Pan-fried chicken with puy lentils, crispy bacon and wild garlic @ Hedgerow Harvest
- Spring mushroom lasagne with wild garlic @ Delicious From Scratch
- Wild garlic and mushroom risotto @ Mint and Rosemary
- Nettle and wild garlic soup @ Decorator’s Notebook
- Wild garlic pesto whirls @ Elephantastic Vegan
- Teff salad with sprouted beans, pea shoots and wild garlic @ Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
- Salmon, clams, wild garlic sauce and chive potato dumplings @ Outlaw’s
- Wild garlic and sesame noodle salad @ Recipes from a Pantry
Find out what else is in season this month here!