inally, finally, finally, we’re out of the cold. As I type this, I’m looking out on grey skies (oh, England), but there’s solace in the fact that the streets are increasingly lined with the bright colours of summer fruits with “British” on the sticker.
Related to all this, you can now browse recipes by ingredient (up….^^^ there) on this little ol’ blog. There’s even a dedicated salted caramel section, along with the less indulgent fruit and veg bits.
Asparagus – the star of the month!
Asparagus season is much anticipated in the UK due to the fact that it only lasts about six weeks, spanning May and June, with the odd early appearance in April. It’s a fussy, slow-growing crop, and its spears’ sugars start to convert to starch as soon as they’re picked, meaning they’re absolutely best fresh. This foodie favourite is also full of vitamins A, B and C, so it’s well worth scouting out while it’s still around – I’ve seen it as cheap as £2/500g in Lidl.
- Asparagus, olive & sundried tomato loaf @ Senses in the Kitchen
- Spring bowl @ Gratitude & Greens
- Asparagus, bacon & cheese tart @ Sweet Sugarbean
- Lentil salad @ The Year in Food
- Asparagus, broad bean, and and mozzarella bruschetta @ British Asparagus
Courgette is one of my favourite sneaky veggies – you can hide it so easily, allowing you to feel totally virtuous, even if you’re eating, say, waffles.
- Mama ganoush @ Oh My Veggies (courgette baba ganoush!)
- Raw chocolate cheesecake @ Cooking a la Mel
- Spicy sausage & vegetable bake @ The Dinner Bell
- Courgette crisps @ Abel & Cole
- Rhubarb blush sour cocktail @ Supergolden Bakes
- Hibiscus, rhubarb + yogurt ice pops @ Bojon Gourmet
- Rhubarb strawberry chia pudding @ The Year in Food
While technically not actually in season yet, British strawberries have started to show up in the shops and these recipes look too good to not share. I’m sure there’ll be waaaaaay more in the coming months.
- Strawberry & rose cake @ London Bakes
- Roasted strawberries over honey-whipped ricotta @ Spoon Fork Bacon
- Balsamic strawberry galette with ricotta @ The Dinner Bell
P.S. There are loads more strawberry recipes here!