In the UK, we get pears in season for a good portion of the year – but winter is when it really kicks off, with varieties ranging beyond the faithful Conference. There are around 550 types in Britain, and a lot of them sound like something you’d expect to find in Care of Magical Creatures class, but the shelves are dominated by just four. As imported varieties typically test highly for pesticides, it’s worth making the most of the UK’s pear seasons while it’s here. So what do we make with them?
- Pear and cinnamon crumble cake
- Pear, quince and almond crumble @ Nutmegs, Seven
- Pear and honey galettes
- Pear frangipane tart @ Delicious
- Pear and almond cake (gluten free) @ Eat Drink Cook
- Pear tart with blue cheese and pancetta @ O&O Eats
- Dairy free chocolate mousse with poached pears @ Natural Kitchen Adventures
- Cranberry & blue cheese tart with pear salad @ BBC Good Food
- Warm Roquefort cheesecake with pears in balsamic vinaigrette @ Delia
- Sumac lamb, savoury granola and pear chutney @ Fine Dining at Home
Find more pear recipes here!