If you imagine me coming to a screeching halt like a cartoon character approaching the edge of a cliff, you’d be about right. I’ve barely had time to come up for air since Easter, let alone do any food experiments – my go-to dinner has become rushed noodle soup or store-bought fishcakes at a push.
As anyone who follows me on Instagram knows, I’ve mostly been eating ice cream in various corners of the country, which, although a great pastime, and one that I fully intend to continue, has left me craving savoury. Just the odd vegetable, please.
Inspired by runner extraordinaire and brownie guzzler Stephanie, this month the focus is on radishes, a woefully under-appreciated gem. Best while small, from planting to picking they take about a month, which means they’re a great crop for supremely impatient people. They’re even low-waste, as their tops can be used too, by sautéing or blitzing into pesto. Most importantly, though, is their flavour – although peppery while crisply raw, when roasted their heat mellows, and they’re glorious on their own with just butter and a little salt. Intrigued? Check out these recipes to see how the humble radish can jazz up other veg of the season and even take a role in dessert.
- Roasted radish and asparagus tart @ Veggie Desserts
- Lime pickled radishes with mint and coriander @ Once Upon A Food Blog
- Spicy lentil, radish and parsley salad @ Cook Sister
- Radish leaf pesto @ Chocolate & Zucchini
- Butter roasted radishes @ Amuse Your Bouche
- Smørbrød with goat’s cheese, radish and rosehips @ by Signe Johansen
- Citrus slaw @ What Dad Cooked
- Radishes with burrata @ Bon Appetit
- Vegetable summer rolls @ Tastemade
- Cinnamon ice cream with maple roasted radishes @ Veggie Desserts