“GUYS. Look at all those apples. Bloody hell I love apple season, look at them all!”
It was October 1st and I was way too excited about apples, wandering around Borough Market with Sophie and Em as part of what Timehop shows to be an annual get-together, trying to spot a wild Delbard Estivale (apple type, not Pokémon). I’d blame being slightly delirious on the fact that I’d been stung by a huge wasp – unprovoked! – a couple of hours earlier*, but I feel like it’s justified – it’s a great month for English apples, meaning we can branch out beyond the supermarket standard breeds and the madness that is importing from New Zealand and the USA.
So for In Season this month, we’re looking at the classic early-autumn fruits, apple and blackberry.
As ever, in addition to everything going on below, you can find more monthly goodness here!
- Waitrose has put together a nice little breakdown of the most prevalent apple varieties – check it out here
- Date and apple slices
- Honey apple & thyme hand pies
- Blackberry & apple baked oats @ The Kitchen Shed
- Pork & apple burgers @ Frugal Feeding
- Apple, plum & pear jam @ Pikalily
- Caramelised bramley apple cous cous salad @ My Fussy Eater
- Spiced apple blender cake @ A Life of Geekery
- Italian apple cake @ A Cup of Jo
- Apple cranberry scones @ Tasty Seasons
- Apple pie porridge @ Lottie’s Kitchen
See more apple recipes here.
They’re almost gone! So let’s make the most of blackberries while they’re still around.
- Blackberry and gin ice cream by Nicole Miller
- Sloe and blackberry hedgerow jam @ Hedgecombers
- Black forest chocolate brownies @ Sew White
- Vanilla & blackberry baked cheesecake @ Penne for your thoughts
- Beetroot & blackberry salad with tahini dressing @ Veggie Desserts
- Lullaby of Broadway cocktail @ Oyster & Pearl
*It was really big and I’ve never been stung before and I swore in front of two children in shock. And then did some dad-style one-finger texting because the thumb it walloped me on wouldn’t bend. 1/10, do not recommend.